Lunches are Easy with Salad in a Jar
Salad in a jar is such a great idea! Over the past year I have seen these become more and more popular, and perfect for work lunches on the run!
I have been doing fruit salad in a jar for hubby for work for a while now and once you see them, you’ll know why they’re such a winner! Now I’ve started making amazing salads for him as well.
- I personally don’t like a soggy salad so I put my dressing in a separate little container and add it on the day.
- As a basic rule I start with the heavier ingredients on the bottom of the jar, if you are using a carb eg rice or pasta add it first then build the jars up.
- I always end with a leafy green I think it helps the salad stay fresh.
- I do ours up to 3 days before I want to use them.
Some of my favourite combinations are listed below, I’ll start with the ingredients in order to be added to the jar first.
Mung Bean Salad
- Handful of mung beans
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 of an avocado diced
- 1/2 tomato
- 1/4 Spanish red onion
- Lettuce leaves
Dressing: I normally mix 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar and 8 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. You can substitute the sugar for honey if you prefer.
- 1/2 cup of cooked rice
- 12 olives sliced finely I use green or black doesn’t matter
- 1/4 Spanish onions sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup of cooked corn kernel’s
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
Dressing: I normally use lime juice or I will spoon a couple spoons of salsa on them.
Egg and Rice Salad
- 1//2 a cup of rice
- 1/3 a cup of grated carrot
- 1 boiled egg slice
- 1/4 cup of grated cabbage
- shred lettuce added tot he top
Chicken Quinoa Salad
- 1/2 a cup of cooked Quinoa
- 1 cup of shredded BBQ chicken
- 1/4 of a Spanish onion
- 1/2 a cup of celery diced really fine
- shredded lettuce