Apple and Muesli Muffins, a Healthier Cupcake Alternative
Apple and Muesli Muffin
Muffins are a great all-rounder for breakfast, morning tea and afternoon tea and PERHAPS a little more lunch box acceptable than a cupcake. That disclaimer aside, you can easily swap out the apple for any fruit in this recipe - don't be afraid to shake it up!
- Plain flour - 1 1/2 cup
- Ground cinnamon - 1 teaspoon
- Bicarbonate of soda - 1 teaspoon
- Apples, cored and finely chopped - 2 medium apples (1 1/2 cups finely chopped)
- Natural muesli - 1 1/4 cups, plus 1/2 cup extra
- Bran cereal - 1/2 cup
- Brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- Milk - 1 1/2 cups
- Light olive oil - 1/2 cup
- Egg, lightly beaten - 1
- Vanilla paste - 1 teaspoon
- Icing sugar to dust - 1 teaspoon
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper muffin liners.
2. Sift the flour, cinnamon and bicarb soda together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Stir in the chopped apple, muesli, bran and sugar.
4. In a jug, whisk together the milk, oil, egg and vanilla paste.
5. Making a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add all of the milk mixture and mix together.
6. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases until about 3/4 full.Sprinkle the tops with extra muesli.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through when centres are tested with a skewer. Leave in the pan for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
A tweaked version of an original Women's Weekly recipe.