- Yield: 6-8
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1h 40 min
- Olive oil - 4 tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Onion - 1 large, finely chopped
- Celery stalks - 3, finely chopped
- Carrots - 2, finely chopped
- Beef mince - 400g
- Veal mince - 400g
- Pancetta - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Red wine - 1/2 cup
- Beef stock - 3 cups
- Passata - 1/2 cup
- Salt and black pepper
- Milk - 1 cup
- Fettucinne - or Tagliatelle or Mafalda, 450g
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium high heat. Add the garlic, onion, celery, and carrots. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until soft and tender.
- Add the beef and pork mince, breaking up with a spoon and fry until well browned, for about 10 minutes. Add the pancetta and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the wine, stirring for about 2 minutes. Add the stock and tomato, and simmer on a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 and a half hours. Season to taste.
- Add the milk, and bring to a medium heat, stirring for another 20 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to instructions, reserving some of the starchy water to add to the ragu. Stir starch water into the ragu while simmering to desired consistency, then combine with pasta before serving.