This Lemon cake is so moist you wont be able to stop at one piece!
- Plain Flour - 1 1/3 cups
- Self-raising flour - 1 cup
- Melted Butter - 150g
- Eggs - 3
- Milk - 100ml
- Finely grated lemon rind - 1 tablespoon
- Fresh lemon juice - 100ml
- Caster Sugar - 1 1/3 cups
- Melted Butter - To grease tin
- Icing Mixture
- Pure icing sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- Lemon rind - zested, to decorate
- Softened butter - 1 tablespoon (not melted)
- Yellow food colouring - Dash for icing
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Oil or butter a square baking tin so mixture doesn't stick.
- Add both flours to a large bowl
- Whisk the butter, eggs, milk, lemon rind and 100ml of lemon juice in a bowl until combined
- Add the lemon mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a mix master until a smooth consistency is reached
- Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Add the icing sugar, food colouring, butter and left over lemon juice to a bowl and mix until all lumps are out.
- Spread over a cooled cake and decorate with lemon zest.
If you like a thick icing, add more butter and icing mixture. If you like a runny mixture, just use icing sugar and lemon juice.