Sausage Rolls With Hidden Veggies a Hit With the Kids!
Never underestimate the power of puff pastry to smuggle all kinds of veggies into your children's bellies. Packed full of tasty sausage mince and delicious vegetables, these sausage rolls will be devoured in no time - just don't forget the sauce!
- Frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed - 3
- oil - 1 tablespoon
- Sausage mince - 500g
- Brown onion, diced - 1
- Celery, diced - 1 stick
- Carrot, grated - 1 medium
- Zucchini, grated - 1 medium
- Bread crumbs - 1 cup
- Egg - 1
- Tomato sauce - 2 tablespoons
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Sesame seeds - 1 tablespoon
- milk - 3 tablespoons
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. In a small frying pan over a medium heat, heat the oil and saute celery and onion for around five minutes or until soft and translucent. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sauteed onion and celery, carrot, zucchini, tomato sauce and egg. Mix well until combined.
4. Add the sausage mince, bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
5. Cut the three pastry sheets in half to make six rectangles. In the middle of each, using clean hands or a spoon, shape a sausage shape of meat mixture in the centre.
6. Using a pastry brush, lightly dampen one long edge of each pastry rectangle and bring the two sides together, lightly pressing them to stick together.
7. Slice each length into six pieces. Place on the prepared trays and brush lightly with milk. Sprinkle to your heart's content with sesame seeds.
8. Bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown and beautifully puffed.
Serve them warm or cold, these sausage rolls also freeze and defrost perfectly.