We Like To Party! Vanilla Cupcakes For a Crowd
I won't hear a bad word about anything made with vanilla. Ever the crowd pleaser (and my favourite), it's a classic flavour that's never, ever boring. Whip up two dozen cupcakes in a jiffy with this recipe - topped with lashings of buttercream icing, the kids will come back for seconds!
- Butter, softened - 200g
- Caster Sugar - 1 3/4 cups
- Queens Vanilla Bean Paste - 2 teaspoons
- Eggs, room temperature - 4
- Self Raising Flour - 2 3/4 cups
- Milk - 1 cup
- For buttercream icing
- Salted Butter, softened - 125g
- Icing Sugar Mixture - 3 cups (plus extra)
- Milk - 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla essence - 1 teaspoon
- Food colouring (optional)
- Sprinkles for decorating (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line two 12 capacity cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla paste.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each one in before adding the next.
4. Gently beat in a third of the flour, followed by a third of the milk. Repeat for the remaining flour and milk until combined.
5. Divide the mixture between the cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Cool completely on a wire rack.
6. To make the buttercream icing, sift the icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, milk and vanilla essence. Beat with electric beaters until light in colour and fluffy. If the mixture is too dry, add a teaspoon of milk. If too wet, add a tablespoon of icing sugar.
7. Once consistency is right, add a drop or two of food colouring if using. Spread onto cupcakes, dust with sprinkles and get ready to party!